Sunday, May 11, 2008

NOT One of My Smarter Moments...

'Kay...

So to help Salamander with his seasonal allergies I had put him on a homeopathic supplement that contains calcarea carbonica (amongst many other things.. the calcarea is actually one of the 'lesser' constituents)...

So I get a UTEE back for Salamander that shows sky high calcium...

So I scrutinize Salamander's diet for any source of calcium (he does NOT process direct calcium supplementation in any shape, sort or form.... in fact direct calcium supplementation is an excitotoxin for him.. which is fancy speak for 'calcium supplementation makes him looney').

So I can't find anything, as I haven't really changed his diet in years.

So I finally really, really, really 'listened' to what 'calcarea carbonica' sounds like.. (calcarea sounds somewhat like calcium, wouldn't you agree?)

So I run a web search on calcarea carbonica... turns out calcarea is a type of coral whose skeleton is made of ..drum roll.. CALCIUM CARBONATE!!!

DUH...

Needless to say, this 'anti-allergy' supplement has now been removed from his supplement regimen....

As I said, NOT one of my smarter moments..

(and now I got to figure out what I can try next for Salamander's environmental allergies...Claritin and Benedryl are just not cutting it this year)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home