Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just to let you all know that we're doing well. I lost internet access shortly after yesterday's 'slow as a slug' post, and only just got back on.

Salamander completed his 3rd session at Lindamood-Bell today and he's LOVING IT. He can't wait to get there, and as soon as we walk in he is ready to work. No stalling, no avoidance behaviors, no excessive talking - he has found himself a cozy nook in the loft of the building (the center is set up like a big cozy family room in a farm house; all kinds of fun nooks and crannies that the kids can pick from to do their work in), and he gets 'in the zone'. He didn't even notice me leaving today (as I had to step out for a bit in an attempt to find internet access somewhere).

He is working FAST through the various assignments - some of the skills we are working on are typically taught in 2nd and 3rd grade, and Salamander obviously missed solidly mastering these skills the first time around. And while it is hard work for him, things are starting to make more sense for him. And oh my, that whole piece of being able to visualize a word in your mind? I had the pleasure of watching that process start to take place.

I spoke with the center director for a bit as to how Salamander has been doing so far, and all the therapists that have worked with him so far already are heads over heels in love with him. And they are very impressed with how hard he works and how motivated he is. The center director commented that Salamander has two things going for him: that insanely high verbal IQ of his and the vocabulary to match, and NO behavioral issues (you hear that world-at-large? My Salamander is doing school/reading work that is very hard for him WITHOUT behavioral issues!!!). And because the therapists don't have to spend time managing behaviors, they expect him to progress fairly quickly (if he stays this focused and motivated).

COOL!!!

Salamander commented today, as we left: "Mom, these ladies are really good teachers!". I'll have to tease out a bit more exactly what he meant by that. For now he obviously feels comfortable there; and oh my, every time he collects more 'stones and points' for his score cards (he gets to trade completed score cards in for prizes at the end of the week), he positively GLOWS, his grin lights up the room and he grows 2 feet taller. Think Cheshire Cat; that's how big he is smiling!!

At home I am noticing some subtle differences in his approaches and feelings about reading too. He is shifting from 'reading being a chore and something to be avoided at all cost' to 'reading is fun, reading is something you can do FOR fun."

I so hope this continues.. he needs that boost to his self confidence. He needs to realize that he is NOT stupid, but that that big brain of his requires different approaches. That's all.

We have two more sessions this week; tomorrow and Friday. And on Friday I'll be able to sit in on part of a session, plus I'll be sitting down with Salamander's managing therapist to talk about what's been happening this week. I am looking forward to it.

[one kinda sad thing did happen when we left the Lindamood-Bell center today. Go here]


OK, gotta get out of the house. It's time for me to get to one of my client's and get several 'paying' work hours in.

5 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, November 19, 2008 , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

WOW! That is amazing. So glad you are finding ways for him to learn and build up his confidence.

Thank you for your lovely comment today. I tried to e-mail, but my computer does not let me get there from the webpage. My computer is on my last nerve, and will one day soon find it's way out the window, full pitch. Mark my words.

Anyway, I replied to your comment in my comments. And again, thank you so much!

 
At 8:03 PM, November 19, 2008 , Blogger K Fuller said...

I really believe that success makes the brain work better. It sounds like you have experienced therapists working with your son.
I hope when the work gets harder for him they build in things he is good at so that he continues to be happy to learn. I just love it when you get to really see that moment when they realize they have learned something.

 
At 7:07 AM, November 20, 2008 , Blogger Renee said...

Wow, it's so wonderful to hear such success, so fast! Just that he is so excited really means awesome things. I really believe that when a child realizes that a therapy/tutoring/etc is going to be good for them, they relax and let it help. I don't know how they know, but they do!

 
At 10:03 AM, November 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Salamander!! What great news!

:)

 
At 3:17 PM, November 22, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home