Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A little ray of sunshine...

OK, things are ever so slowly starting to fall in place again...

I am so glad I decided to take Salamander off the Albuterol. Although it resulted in a few terrifying coughing fits on Saturday and Sunday night (of which one resulted into a mad scramble into the bathroom just before the poor child vomited up the equivalent of a bucket full of goob), he slept through the night last night, and woke up much more 'together' than he has been for more than a week. While he was slow to wake up, his overall mood was pleasant, and (a big sign that he is 'on his way back' ) he tolerated Potatey in his bedroom, even allowed Potatey to touch his stuff without this resulting into a 'no holds barred' screeching match. He came down for breakfast dressed, somewhat :). He was missing a t-shirt and socks, but hey, he did start the process on his own as opposed to me having to stuff him into his clothes - and believe me, getting an almost 8 year old dressed whose limbs behave like they are made out of wood is not an easy feat. He even reacted excitedly when I told him that I had tucked some extra snacks into his school backpack in case there was a Valentine's Day party at school (we've been in and out of school so much for the past 3 weeks that, if there have been any party announcements distributed, I'm sure they are still sitting in a school locker somewhere) and told me that I was 'the best momma in the world'. He was a little disappointed when he realized that I didn't pack enough snacks for him to share with the whole class (sorry kiddo, but these special cookies and chocolates I got so you could have a 'treat' too are just a bit too expensive to feed to the masses), but he bounced back very quickly from his disappointment without me having to do too much redirecting.

Potatey too was excited about the prospect of a party. I did get his party announcement, but, after taking a good hard look at the classroom sign-up list for food and drink contributions, decided to send in a large collection of foods and snacks specifically for Potatey (SIGH - you gotta be kidding me, purple or red juice, purple or red cookies and purple or red cupcakes?? While I understand about wanting to stay with the Valentine's color scheme, do the teachers even realize the kind of junk that they'll be feeding these precious little preschoolers??? And then they wonder by 3.30 pm this afternoon, why the kids are so unruly..). Potatey got to pick out a couple of popsicles (made out of fruit, no sugar and colorants added, thank you very much) and excitedly clutched the bag in his little hands on the car trip into daycare (where we put them in the school freezer).

So in all, two kiddos in a good place this morning.

DH had a first doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon, and while nothing earth shattering was discovered during that first visit (it was more of a general check-up), the process of ferreting out what is going on has started. And more importantly, DH is committed to seeing this through all the way, a commitment that wasn't there in the past. I can only theorize as to what created that mind shift, but I think he got a 'good' scare last week, especially when realizing the implications of having a next episode under less fortunate circumstances, and the impact this whole mess is having on the boys (and me).

So the air is a little less turbulent today.... Our lives will never be smooth sailing (and part of me, as ever, is waiting, waiting, for disaster to strike again), but for now I'll enjoy that little bit of sunshine I am getting....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home