Saturday, January 10, 2009

At Home With Chef Z....

Salamander is enormously interested in experimenting in the kitchen, preparing meals, coming up with new recipes these days.. I am THRILLED, as not only will his interest help tremendously in preparing him to continue to stick with his dietary requirements once he 'flies the coop', I also LOVE having the company in the kitchen as well as an extra pair, of increasingly capable, hands.

We had a blast 'messing around' in the kitchen last nite. I even shot a few videos of him (after I asked his permission of course). Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera died only a few minutes into the second video. I will post them both as soon as I have a moment to download them off my camera.

Salamander has announced that he wants to 'prepare THE meal' again tonite.. and that he is ready for taping another episode of 'At Home with Chef Z'..

He's been talking about taking cooking classes, going to cooking school, opening his own restaurant... And it is so NEAT to hear him talk about his future, his likes, his plans. Of course we'll have to see if it all sticks.

But boy, wouldn't that be something? If he manages to become a chef, have his own restaurant, cook foods that fit his particular dietary requirements - especially considering his 'history'??? You betcha that if this turns out to be his dream, that I'll do ANYTHING to support it...

2 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, January 10, 2009 , Blogger Renee said...

That sounds like so much fun! My guy loves to cook too. It's one of the few things that we can always use as a treat for him. But, if I dare mention him being a chef when he grows up, I get growled at for mentioning growing up! It's so nice to hear such wonderful plans, and such a great helper. You are a very lucky mommy!

 
At 1:56 PM, January 11, 2009 , Blogger Petra said...

I'll be posting the vids soon.

And it's not so much that Salamander was talking about his plans in terms of 'growing up'. He too 'freaks' whenever the subject of him moving out and living on his own comes up (as in his mind it immediately extends to me growing older and me eventually passing on.. something he just cannot and will not even consider).

It was nice to hear him chatter on about cooking and having his own restaurant and on how to achieve those goals, as this particular conversation was so radically different from any similar conversations in the past. In the past, in Salamander's mind, things would just happen, e.g. one day he's in 5th grade and then boom, several years later he's XYZ. There was no thoughts on how to get there, no plans, no appreciation of the fact that things don't happen by themselves. And this time that realization was there..

Yes, I am a very lucky mom...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home