Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Commander Salamander, I Salute You!!!!

[^%@@ blogger again won't let me upload pictures..]

Salamander is turning 11 years old today.

Yes. I. Am. Mom. To. An. Eleven. Year. Old (now how the hell did THAT happen? I certainly don't feel *old* enough to have an almost teenager..LOL) And what a wild roller coaster ride these past 11 years have been.

I am so incredibly privileged, BLESSED, to have been given the opportunity to parent this absolutely amazing young man. I would not be who I am today if not for him.

Salamander babe, I think you are 200% amazing. You are my hero (and I'll keep telling you that, even when you're totally sick of hearing it, even when I embarrass you a little, and especially on those rough days that it's all too much for you and you say to me that you are 'such a loser'. Which you are so NOT).

You hear me, young man? You. Are. My. Hero. (you can tackle me and pound on me later..)

The things you've had to deal with, the things you ARE dealing with, the obstacles you've had to overcome, in these past 11 years - it takes a very very very strong person to handle what life has tossed your way, to be able to do what you are doing, and get through it all to come out on the other side.

Man child of mine (you have recently perfected the disgusted "Mom, I can't believe you just called me that" eye roll whenever I slip up and call you "baby"), I try very hard to not dwell on what happened during the first 6 odd years of your life, on all the mistakes I made, all the things I missed, on all the things I didn't do for you that I should have done.

And on a gloriously sunny day like today, when you bounced out of bed this morning all excited about celebrating your birthday with your family, so happy, so *present*, so *all there*, it's easier to 'not go there', to stay with what is now, with how far you've come, with how well you are doing.

You have come a long, looong way from that oh so angry, aggressive, terrified, confused, so very sick, little Kindergartner you were when you turned six. When you first started collecting your *alphabet soup*, I was told of so many things you would never do, never be comfortable at, never be able to learn. And I am so happy to say that, especially over the past 2.5 years, you have done nothing but prove many of those "blanket statements" completely and utterly WRONG (and we're blessed, I do realize that, as it doesn't happen that way for every kiddo).

It's been such a thrill to watch you grow your wings, and to watch you test them and have them grow stronger every time you do. The sky, no The Universe, truly is the limit.

My dearest boy, You. Kick. Ass. And here's to many more years of ass kicking.

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, my precious one.

P.S. I love you.

6 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, March 31, 2009 , Blogger K Fuller said...

Happy boy birthday to you too!
You have 2 kids who's birthdays are close like I do! At least we know when we were fertile!
Give him a happy birthday from us and a standing ovation too.

 
At 2:57 PM, March 31, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

GRIN!! Thanks!!

Let me tell you about their actual DUE dates. Salamander April 15 (he was a bit early), Potatey April 17 (5 years later; but Potatey was in a big hurry..)

 
At 3:43 PM, March 31, 2009 , Blogger pixiemama said...

Happy Birthday, boys!

xo

 
At 4:50 PM, March 31, 2009 , Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

So beautiful. Happy birthday sweet boy!

 
At 8:47 PM, March 31, 2009 , Blogger K Fuller said...

My oldest was 18 days late August 28, next one August 12, 11 1/2 months later. My Dad called them Irish twins. I think that might be an insult???? The enjoy being the same age 2 weeks out of the year.

 
At 3:57 AM, April 02, 2009 , Blogger Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Happy Birthday to Salamander! Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home