Thursday, April 02, 2009

World Autism Awareness Day, & Other Stuff

I had planned to blog about World Autism Awareness Day and how I agree with AoA suggestion that we should rename this day "World Autism Epidemic Action Day", as really you'd think that everybody is *aware* by now? Also, while awareness is all good and well, what we really need is Action and Answers..

But sh1t has hit the wall here once again, so I'm gonna keep things short and *sweet*.

Tori (yes, her from Lend4Health fame) is running a contest:
Anybody who makes a loan on Thursday, April 2, in honor of Autism Awareness Day will automatically be entered to win a signed copy of Jenny McCarthy's book, "Mother Warriors." Multiple loans = multiple entries! Good luck!

So if you feel so inclined, would you please pop over and check out the open loans? And if you decide to contribute towards funding a loan, make sure you identity your loan as "In Honor of World Autism Awareness Day". THANKS A WHOLE BIG BUNCH!!!


Oh yeah, about that sh1t. Salamander started getting sick on his birthday (poor babe). Yesterday he started hacking his lungs out once again, and was sent home from school. He is coughing so much, and the coughing fits are so fierce that he keeps throwing up. I am so afraid that he may have gotten whatever the heck it is that I am/was dealing with (on which the judgement is still out. Either pertussis, or bronchitis + mononucleosis).

I started him on another round of Zithromax yesterday late afternoon. But as he threw up about an hour after I gave him the first dose -after a nasty coughing fit- I don't know how much actually ended up in his system. And the *violent coughing followed by vomiting* has been the problem with anything else I've been trying to get into him.

This morning I decided to go the *dropper route*, get little bits of meds and other supplements into him at a time using a dropper, to try and bypass that crazy gag reflex. It'll be "ovaries to the wall" for me today. I HAVE to get the coughing fits to calm down enough so Salamander can keep stuff in his body long enough for it to actually do its job (his birthday party is this Saturday afternoon.. and then MCAS ELA testing starts next week).

To add to the fun? This morning, Potatey started coughing too. His cough is nice and loose and productive, and I'll have to make sure it stays that way. And of course I am still FAR from completely recovered myself.

Never a dull moment.

NEVER a dull moment....(I can't decide whether I'm living "Ground Hog Day" over and over again, or whether I'm stuck in a never ending season of "24"....Jacko, my man. Move on over. You've got nothing on me. I Am Raising Two Kids With Complex Needs, What's YOUR Super Power?)

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, April 02, 2009 , Blogger K Fuller said...

Spring is here! I hope the winter bugs leave your house really soon.
I love that T-shirt's statement, i want a bumper sticker!
Feel better soon.

 
At 5:48 PM, April 02, 2009 , Blogger Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I agree - people need to move past mere awareness and onto real acceptance.

Hope you and the boys feel better soon.

 
At 10:46 AM, April 05, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry for not posting much. Rough couple of days here.

Salamander was sick as a dog on Thursday, Friday. Better yesterday, which was good as he had his birthday party yesterday afternoon. Birthday party was an INCREDIBLE success (post on that to follow). The boys that ended up coming to Salamander's party are such great kids and it's so obvious that they consider Salamander to be 'one of them'. Today, Salamander definitely has a case of *post party hangover*. He doesn't look good, he's tired & snarly. So I'll need to step things up again today.

And then of course there's the usual stuff (allergy season is definitely ramping up here, so Potatey is *off*. And it's bothering me too this year).

Definitely could use that T-shirt about now. I want to have a customized one though.

 
At 11:31 AM, April 05, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and I myself really fell off the gluten free and MSG/glutamate free wagon last week. And boy, can I tell the difference....

Climbing back on the wagons. These foods truly are like an addiction, and not eating them is something I need to recommit to every single day.

And just like an alcoholic who needs to fight that urge to drink, especially when the going gets tough, I need to fight the urge to pig out (like I did last week) on gluten/MSG/glutamates when stress gets very high. Sure, there's this *pleasure surge* at first when these foods hit my blood stream/brain, but the *crash* is just horrible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home