Friday, December 15, 2006

OK, 'nuf already.. I get it.. I really do

This little 'gem' showed up in my inbox this morning, as part of a larger 'pitch' for the latest and greatest supervitamin. I ignored the vitamin sales pitch, but these few paragraphs did hit me. HARD.

Pleading utterly and completely 'guilty as charged'.....

"I have nothing but admiration and respect for the extraordinary lengths to which women go for their families, their communities, their work, and the world. Call me biased, but I know women are more selfless than men and that society counts on their selflessness to function. I also believe that it is a losing battle to simply tell women to stop serving others. Our ability to get satisfaction from sharing and nurturing is a precious gift and should never be denigrated.

What you must also weigh against this, however, is how well you can serve others if you are emotionally or physically tapped, nutritionally and hormonally imbalanced, ill or just plain worn out. If I can give you any holiday advice, it's this: admit that you are the engine that's pulling the train and allow yourself the time to learn how to refuel. Right now, today, in the midst of this holiday crunch, decide that you will serve others best by giving yourself and your health a place at the table.

If you knew that by eating certain foods and avoiding others, taking a few natural supplements, and changing some habits, your mother, husband or child might be spared a premature death due to chronic illness, would you support them?

Would you shop and cook differently?

Would you take extra walks with them or ask them to quit smoking?

Of course you would.

The least you can do for them is to do the same for yourself."

(Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP)

OK dear friends, somebody slap me upside the head the next time I forget (read: ignore) this particular piece of advice....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home