Monday, October 20, 2008

Am Giving Up..

on Salamander's night time potty training. Starting tonite he is going to go BACK into pull-ups.

This is a big, no a HUGE, setback. I really thought we had conquered this particular developmental milestone (Salamander was so excited and proud to get OUT of the pull-ups), but apparently I was mistaken. The issues are waaaay beyond "little drips and drops as he's slow to wake up". He has been SOAKING (as in dumping a completely full bladder) his bed every single night, sometimes two or three times a night, for several months now..

I just can't do it anymore, the panicky "I had an accident" screams in the night, the interrupted sleep, the pee smell that permeates everything, the enormous and never ending amounts of laundry...

I need a break from this (and I think Salamander needs a break too). I've tried everything I can think of to get things back on track. I know he's not doing it on purpose, I know he's frustrated too. I am sure the reason is physical/neurological, but I can't help but think that there is a psychological component to it too (when it comes to basic self care skills Salamander does tend to get complacent and rely too much on others to remind him of what he needs to do).

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas to explore all very welcome...

[yes, it's been a rough night, I was up for most of it ..... Off to take a nap; let's see if that helps me become human again... and help me find my positive outlook back..]

2 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, October 20, 2008 , Blogger K Fuller said...

You are making a good choice!
This is a problem that has an easy solution.

It will be much better for your son to wear the night time protection. No discomfort for him and no mess for you. Night time accidents are a huge problem, if there was not an profitable market for products for older children, they would not make the products to fit them. Just forget about it, this should be a non issue for you and for him. I would make a huge deal and dance for about how fabulous life is that the solution is so easy.
My niece had a problem at night until she was at least 12. She suffered so many ear infections that we think she got used to blocking out the pain so she could sleep and also blocking out feeling of the urge to go to the bathroom.
After spending about 2 years cleaning up the bathroom and steaming around the toilet everyday trying to rid the bathroom of the horrid smell of urine, I had an epiphany!!!!!!! Just let him sit down to pee! DUH!
I was expecting my poor ASD son who has visual tracking issues to hit the water. If only every problem he has had such a simple solution!

 
At 12:38 AM, October 21, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems like a good choice right now. Just too much stress for both of you. I wouldn't worry about this setback. Really it is minor in the big scheme of things. I am sure this will come back online in time. No worries, my dear. Please don't feel bad. Isaac is also having lots of accidents as well right now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home