Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Nite Time Spooking - Revisited...

Ugh.. Potatey is back in one of his phases where he's waking up frequently between the hours of 2 am and 4 am (yes, I realize the significance.. this is the time frame within which the kidneys & liver do their prime detox work...). He wakes up all confused, scared, with nightmares...

As soon as I walk him back to his room (everybody sleeps in their own bed in this joint..otherwise I'd have no sleep AT ALL, as both my monkeys are pretty restless sleepers), he settles right back in and goes back to sleep. But he doesn't STAY asleep.. (and I know from my own experience that if your kidneys and liver work overtime, you get this really nagging lower back pain, so I'm not surprised he keeps waking up).

This nite he was up at 2.45 am, 3.15 am and then again at 4.15 am. Unfortunately, I couldn't go back to sleep after he woke up for the first time (2.45 am), and then I HAD to get up at 4.15 am myself as I had some work and other stuff to get done before starting the 5 am breakfast, lunch, backpacks etc drill...

So yes, I've been awake since 2.45 am. TG I went to bed at 9.30 pm last nite..

Well, going off now to makes lunches and to start breakfast...
And then if I'm lucky and Potatey stays asleep until his alarm clock goes off at 6.40 am, I'll squeeze in a shower. Otherwise that'll have to wait until after the boyos are on the school bus... And of course I have work meetings starting at 10 am until about 1.30 pm, and then I'll need to pick Salamander up from school to get him to his 3 - 5 pm Lindamood Bell sessions.. Yup, it's gonna be a long day.....

(and then tomorrow, I get to do it all over again.... LOL)

Oh, I did start Salamander on a sliver of L-carnitine last Wednesday and he is now also consistently taking 1 cap of idebenone per day. And I think, I think, I see a very subtle improvement in his energy levels... Time will tell....

2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, December 02, 2008 , Blogger K Fuller said...

There are so many reasons for not getting good sleep and a million solutions.
Our son rarely slept through the night until we purchased a weighted blanket from a therapy catalog. The first one was filled with sand and the weight would shift too much. We then got one with weights pressed between the fabric. Nick started sleeping through the night with this blanket. I think it helped teach his body *how* to sleep through the night. It did not take long for this to work for him. This is definitley a winter therapy solution,because it can be a too warm in the summer!

 
At 8:34 AM, December 03, 2008 , Blogger Petra said...

GREAT suggestion!! Thank you so much!!

Weighted blanket during sleep was one of the first sleep interventions I implemented for Salamander way back in the days (as he used to be a TERRIBLE sleeper - as in NOT). Salamander truly could not feel his body the moment he closed his eyes. He recently was able to explain to me that it felt like his body was floating away when his eyes are closed (it still happens on ocassion, that's how I know this). He needs that visual reference to help position his body in space (can you say Vestibular issues?? LOL). The weighted blanket 'anchored' his body by providing input to his proprioceptor system, and he was able to go to sleep better..I remember the effects of that blanket (and we're talking 5 years ago..) to be almost instantaneous. As in HUGE, BIG sigh of relief the moment that blanket touched his body, he closed his eyes and BOOM he was asleep in 15 minutes (as opposed to the 2+ hour three-ring circus it used to take).

I have tried weighted blankets with Potatey in the past as well, as he used to be an enormous bed time squiggler (proprioceptor system once again). It did help, and he really needed the blanket only for a couple of minutes to provide that deep pressure input and then he'd settle down.

I'll pull the blankets out again.. and will keep one handy for the next nitetime spooking session. Potatey DID sleep much better last night.. only woke up once at 4.45 am to use the bathroom.. So I got to sleep 'in' until 5.30 am!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home