Tuesday, May 27, 2008

More AutismOne 2008 Presentations..

I know that 'the slide' I posted on Friday struck a raw nerve...

So here is the presentation from which the slide was pulled that, hopefully, will provide additional context.

Relationship Development Intervention - Raising the Bar for Autism
(Dr. Steven Gutstein, PhD - presented by Carmen Augustin, LCSW)


I have always been a firm believer of "one, two, punch". That is, you treat the underlying medical problems and as the child is getting better, you focus on education and remediation to try to address the missed steps in the child's development. And some really Big Names seem to think so too - as evidenced by the first half of Doreen Granpeesheh's presentation

(Disclaimer: I have no experience whatsoever with ABA as a teaching modality as Salamander never went through any ABA training. I am convinced though that the 'principle' posed in Dr. Granpeesheh's presentation holds, regardless of whether you use ABA, VB, RDI, AIT, OT, Vision Therapy or any other remedial methodology.)

The Child as a Whole: Why Behavioral and Biomedical Interventions are both Critical to Growth and Recovery
(Doreen Granpeesheh, PhD)


OMG - as I am working on this post, an announcement just came in that the slideshow presented at the end of Dr. Amy Yasko's AutismOne 2008 session, showing a bunch of "Dr. Amy's kids" has just been posted. My boys are in it, as are several other kids that are near and dear to my heart. And yes, I cried when it was presented at AutismOne 2008, and I am crying again now. You can find the video here at http://www.ch3buddies.com/hopehug_0001.wmv.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, May 28, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... I'm bawling like a baby. Damn.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home