Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day (I think..)

Salamander is feeling OK, the skin on Potatey's belly looks just fine. TG.

And as I am mentally and physically exhausted (with a killer headache to boot - and no, I did not go on a bender last nite) and just cannot find the words to write a thoughtful Happy Father's Day post, I am going to shamelessly borrow a very inspiring one that was running on Age of Autism this morning.

So here goes, Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful daddies that pop over here.


Just found a video that shows a good bit of Jim C's (speaking of awesome dads!) speech at the Green our Vaccines Rally.
I also found a second video where Jim C speaks about how 'learning how to love THEM [his daughter Jane, Jenny and her son Evan] MADE ME A MAN!'. A very powerful bit... his emotions are clearly written all over his face...
And now lookey here, my friend Kim S. was inspired by that same comment...

2 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, June 15, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that speech! OMG! I cried like a baby when he talked about how learning how to love his daughter, Jenny and Evan, made him a man.

What a guy!

 
At 8:50 AM, June 16, 2008 , Blogger Petra said...

For me it wasn't so much the words themselves that got to me. It was the expression on his face, the pause in speaking, the little hitch in his voice (can you tell that I am a Hopeless Romantic?? LOL).

Here's the thing. Jim C fell into a tough situation and he had to make a choice; "Do I walk away, or do I stay. And if I decide to stay, I have to be 'in it all the way'."
I give him great credit for deciding to be 'in it all the way', even more as Evan is not his biological child (not that THAT should matter in the end, but it frequently does). He willingly entered the 'trial by fire' and he's coming out a better person. And you can 'see' that, just be watching him.

And now circling back to the 'spine of steel' comment that Kim S made in her HuffPo piece. I think, when faced with great difficulties in life, you have two choices. You 'deal' (and get that spine of steel that can twist, contort, and bend to incredible angles, but NEVER breaks) or you 'die' (and snap like a twig in the slightest breeze). Too many people (men especially) fall into the 'you die' category.

I am lucky that by now, most of the people that play a significant role in my and the boys life, are of the 'you deal' category (and the far majority is female). But by gosh, I could use a few more (especially of the male variety) ....

One of these days, one of these days..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home