Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nice "Life Style"???

My Ass!!!!!

So frequently people will ask me what I do for a living. As what I do is kind of complicated to explain, I will typically answer that my work is a cross between what a medical writer, a technical writer, and a paralegal would do (those of you that know what I actually do.. sounds about right eh?). And that I've been doing this for medical device companies for over 13 years now, and that I've been doing this as a consultant/contractor since March 06.

Inevitably people will then say: "Oh, you are your own boss? That is just so nice. Being able to set your own hours, do what you want to do when you want to do it, I wish -I- had a job like that."

Most of the time I let this stuff go, as truth be told, being my own boss does allow me to be flexible in when, where and how I work, so I can take care of stuff involving the boyos WHEN it happens and without first having to get 'permission' from 'the boss' (did THAT for many years, and while I have had some very understanding bosses that gave me all the flexibility I needed (as they knew the work would get done regardless), I've also dealt with way too many total shitheads).

The drawback of being a consultant/contractor is that you're 'on the clock' 24/7, as people tend to have different expectations from a consultant/contractor. It's not unusual for my clients to fire off a barrage of emails at around 6 pm and to then expect answers by 8 am the next morning. I've learned to set boundaries, I've learned to set clear expectations, and most of the time things work out just fine (plus I do have a reputation for 'getting the job done no matter what it takes'.. my clients know that if I have to take 'time away' to deal with stuff, I'll make up for that time somewhere, somehow).

The past several weeks have been rough.. work has been incredibly busy (which is good.. heck, every penny that comes in through the business pays for the boys' treatments.. so not having any work means I have to cut their programs..), and two of my projects have been very, well, 'challenging'. Boys have been detoxing quite intensely, end of school year is coming up, earlier this week we've had this incredibly hot weather.. Things have NOT been running well. So I'm tired, and I've had to struggle HARD to keep all balls in the air.

So when yet again I got the 'oh, it must be so nice to be your own boss. Especially on a really nice day like this. You can just decide to be outside for a while and get work started later', I couldn't help myself and replied as follows:

"Hmm, wish I could. But these past few weeks have been really busy, and I have a big project deadline by mid afternoon tomorrow. And to get it all done in time I'll have to push very, very hard.
A typical day for me looks like this:
3/3.30 am - 6 am: work

6 am - 9.30 am: prepare boys morning supplements; make their school lunches & snacks; make breakfast; wake up boys; get them to shower and dress; do before breakfast supplements; eat breakfast; do after breakfast supplements; do any necessary school paperwork (permission slips and all that); get Salamander ready for school (potty, brush teeth, pack bag; B12 supplements); get Salamander on the school bus; clean up my kitchen; do a few loads of laundry; re-order supplements as needed; get Potatey ready for school (potty, brush teeth, pack bag, B12 supplements); drive Potatey to school and get him settled; drive back home; put laundry in the dryer)

9.30 am - 4 pm: work (and deal with whatever non work stuff that comes up such as school calls, bills, medical appts, etc as it comes up)

4 pm - 5.15 pm: pay bills; return phone calls; prepare dinner supplements; start dinner; do groceries; drive to Potatey's school to pick him up; drive back home and continue with dinner; help Salamander transition into 'home life' when he gets home.

5.15 pm - 9 pm: before dinner supplements; finish preparing dinner; get boys to eat dinner; after dinner supplements; talk about their days/finish up homework; little bit of TV time for Potatey; get Potatey to bed; before bed supplements for Salamander; get Salamander to bed; clean up my kitchen

9 pm - 11 pm: work

11 pm - 3 am: get some sleep.
And this is my schedule Monday - Thursday for most weeks." [and I am sure I didn't even list half the stuff I do on any given day]

Tired yet????

I sure am.. especially since the boys have not been sleeping well, and their sleep difficulties tend to strike between 11 pm and 3 am (which means I didn't get much sleep at all this week).

Don't know too many people who'd call the above a "Nice Lifestyle", would ya?

Most of the time I just do what needs doing. I'm too busy, have too much to get done to waste time complaining or explaining or to get frustrated with how things are. But there are days, like today, when the inner biotch comes out and I can't help myself (I'm sure the person who made the comment this morning will never ever make it again..LOL).

Off to "Enjoy my Nice Lifestyle"...(aka, work my butt off.. I have a TEAM meeting at Salamander's school from 2 pm to 3 pm today.. which will take a chunk out of my 'work' day)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home