Friday, June 20, 2008

What's the Matter With Kids These Days...

Bumping this one too, to follow DK's HuffPo post. I think these two posts really belong together..


Oy, Dan Olmstead's piece on Age of Autism is gonna hit a whole lot of people where 'it hurts'....(as in the 'but MY kid does NOT have THOSE issues' stick-your-head-in-the-sand-and-it'll-all-go-away' stupid ass; last time I checked I had a few of those amongst extended family members... THERE, I said it).

He's so right though. Schools are bursting at the seams with kids that, while 'lucky' enough to not have developed full blown autism, didn't 'escape unscathed' from whatever it is that is destroying a whole generation of young kids...

Extremely gifted (in some areas) but profoundly disabled (in many others).....that is right now where Salamander is at (and I continue to have high hopes that over time there will be less areas in which he's disabled and more areas in which he's gifted...). And it is heartbreaking to watch (and I DO think that society at large is much much much less tolerant of these kids than of the ones where 'it's obvious'.. but that may just be my particular, colored, perception speaking..). Salamander is shouldering an awfully heavy load for such a young child, and I'll do (and AM doing) anything to make that load lighter...

Oh, and lets not forget all those kids (especially a lot of the sibs of kids that are 'diagnosed') who have 'autism from the neck down' (as in, the same gut problems, immune system dysfunction, detoxification impairments, meta/mito issues MINUS the neurodevelopmental involvement)...

One more pet peeve: If I hear one more time "But Salamander is sooooo smart", in response to me trying to address an issue associated with an area where Salamander is NOT doing so well, I am going to

SCREAM!!!!!!!
I KNOW that Salamander is smart.. THAT's NOT the issue....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home