Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!!

'T was the night before Christmas,
And all through the house,
Creatures were going nutters,
Yes, even that mouse.
Mom tried the GABA
and epsom salt baths,
but nothing was working,
so mom hit the 'sauce'....



Wishing you all an uneventful and quiet Christmas!!!!! (Santa, are you listenin'?)

Love

###

Adding a note I just sent out over email:

Well, the Wild Boys have finally settled down for the nite, and I am gathering my energy to start the annual present wrapping chore...

This upcoming February, it'll be 5 years since my oldest child officially became a card carrying member of the '1 in 150' club and I, kicking and screaming all the way, was forced to take up arms and joined the ranks of warrior moms and dads. It's been a loooooooong 5 years....

To those of you that have (an) affected child(ren), thank you for riding this crazy 'eff-ed' up roller coaster ride from hell with me. Thank you for being there, to celebrate my oldest child's accomplishments, and for picking me up and helping me continue on this ride when I thought I no longer could.

Thank you for sharing your stories, for sharing your children's stories, for teaching me, for guiding me. You all played an enormous part in saving my youngest child from falling into the abyss. You will forever have a place in my heart, your children's stories will forever be etched in my soul. And thank you, thank you, thank you - for helping me heal my oldest child. I can now confidently say that there is light at the end of the tunnel for him, that slowly but surely he is clawing his way out. He has come so so far (and yes, I am very aware of how lucky he/I are.. what is happening for him is not happening for all affected kids)

To those of you whose (grand)children are not affected, my thanks for, somewhere along the way, showing my boys and me, in word or deed, that you cared, that you 'got it' (and some of you are actually, voluntarily, playing an enormous part in our daily lives). May you NEVER have to join 'our club'. Cherish your (grand)kids, celebrate their accomplishments, no matter how 'small' or 'insignificant'.

May all of you find yourself this holiday season surrounded by your loved ones, and may there be some 'calm' in the holiday emotions storm.

Hope, Faith, Believe, and continued healing for all of our kids.

1 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, December 26, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Petra,

Hi, I have been reading your blog for awhile now and I think I LURVE you!

I have a daughter who will be six in February. She was diagnosed with autism at age 2 1/2. We began biomed in July and we are implementing some interventions based on tests that her DAN! doctor did that came back in October.

My daughter's autism is about as bad as it gets. She is NOT "just a little quirky" and "might grow up to be the next Bill Gates." I am talking she is profoundly autistic. She has almost no language, although I am starting to hear an occasional word here and there. She is not toilet-trained. Until we began treating her for yeast two weeks ago she was VERY hyperactive, literally nonstop moving all day (we are also doing antiviral therapy). Before she started on Vitamin B-6 this summer she was tantrumming at the drop of a hat for literally no reason at all (the tantrums went away literally one day after introducing Vitamin B-6). She had a beautiful smile and enjoyed being hugged, at least, but that is about all that I can say that was positive. For three years straight she slept maybe four hours a night. I am not ashamed to say any more that our lives were pure unadulterated HELL at that time, even though I had other people all around me harshly criticizing me because I wasn't gushing about what a "blessing" it was to have a "special" child. This summer we hit rock bottom and SOMETHING had to change. While my husband was deployed, my daughter jumped into my infant son's crib and threw him out, fracturing his skull. Thank God there was no permanent damage or bleeding on his brain and he only spent one night in the hospital, but the horror that it could have been worse has haunted me. We also dealt with a CPS investigation as a result of my son's injury and the social worker who dealt with me was not nice AT ALL. No one ever suspected that I hurt my son, but she still treated me horribly. I was seriously scared to death that she was going to rip all my children from my arms on top of everything that I had suffered. Thankfully she unsubstantiated everything and closed our case within a month.

Well, since beginning biomed we have seen some promising results. Nothing BIG yet, but some small WOWS that I know are definitely NOT placebo. Since treating her for yeast a LOT of her problems have diminished. She still stims, but not as intensely or as crazily as before. She takes direction better. She actually SAT AT THE TABLE and watched her siblings play with Pixos today and wanted to try it herself. This is HUGE for her, she would normally tantrum and not want ANYTHING to do with a tabletop activity, nor would she learn by simply observing. She is also sleeping through the night SOUNDLY and waking up fresh and rested. The circles under her eyes are disappearing.

I have a blog, too, called "All Sorts of Things" that I just recently started. We are going to begin the SCD diet after New Years to enhance her yeast treatment and also try B-12 shots in February. For the first time I am beginning to think there may be a light at the end of our tunnel. I am just so happy to see her feeling better and not digging at her itchy bottom from systemic yeast or being cranky because she didn't sleep well the night before. Baby steps. I don't know if I can recover her, but I am so glad to have her feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home