Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cool!!!

In a weird kinda way... I just discovered that the little girl that gets on the same school bus as my boys and her little pre-schooler brother have all kinds of food allergies/sensitivities too. The family moved in on a street about a block from mine about 8 or 9 months ago (I really don't know for sure.. most of the time I am so much in go go go go mode that I really don't socialize with my neighbors much).

But mom and I got chatting this morning after she overhead me make a food related comment to my boys. Turns out the little girl has Celiac's disease (amongst other food related challenges) and the little brother is allergic to tree nuts (anaphylaxis). And mom apparently had been talking with the school nurse at Salamander's school (as that is where the little girl goes too) about trying to get in touch with other parents of kids with Celiac's, etc. School nurse has mentioned that there was at least *one other child, a boy in 5th grade* (yup, that would be Salamander), but had not gotten around yet to sharing my contact information with mom. And then imagine us finding each other like that at the bus stop of all places (the Universe moves... and all that).

The Celiac's/tree nuts thing is still a fairly recent diagnosis for mom, so she's still a bit shell shocked. She's definitely looking for some emotional support as well as food shopping/diet tips. And I certainly don't mind helping out another person. Plus it'll be fun to have somebody in my neighborhood to talk with who does NOT think I've gone completely *off my rocker* whenever I open my mouth and talk about the effects of food/environmental toxins on neurology and behaviors.

We'll see where this all goes...

5 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, September 17, 2008 , Blogger Tori said...

Awesome! You know, this gives you so many options. Like buying stuff in bulk on Amazon or Allergy Grocer or Breads from Anna and splitting it between you. Or taking turns shopping. Or cooking for each other once a week or making big batches of XYZ and swapping. HOW FUN!!! My daughter had a girl in her class last year who was celiac. Her mom wasn't quite as "into" things as I can get. So since I was already doing the GFCF cupcakes to have on hand for birthdays, I'd bring them in for her too. And I'd bring in extra snacks for her too. The mom was so appreciative! It's nice to be able to share the load sometimes.

 
At 10:21 AM, September 17, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serendipity. You've gotta love it!

I agree with Tori, this could be lots of fun and save you some money, which is always a good thing! Keep us posted.

 
At 11:17 AM, September 17, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Got your email, cannot send email this morning for some reason, although I can receive just fine. Trying to fix the problem.

 
At 11:38 AM, September 17, 2008 , Blogger Petra said...

Jeanne - that's OK.. I won't get much further into Charlie's stuff until much later today anyway (am up to my eyeballs in tax returns and credit reports.. long story .. and I HAVE to get my billing for August done).

To both you and Tori - thanks!! Hadn't even thought about the buying in bulk/taking turns shopping/cooking thing yet. In fact, there's another family here in the same town (about 10 minutes from my house) that is very much into GFCF etc stuff too (yes, DF, that would be you two and the gals). I should work on getting all three of us to team up..and as it very well may be that I have the largest kitchen/most kitchen tools and gadgets, I'd be happy to *host* cooking parties out here. I know I'm weird, but that could actually be fun.. have our combined brood run around in my backyard - which would make 6 kids of various ages, shapes and sizes - while the parents cook (and maybe sip a little wine)?

OMG - I may actually have found a way to significantly IMPROVE my social life.. LOL

I realize that I could organize parties here at my place, REGARDLESS of the guests' food *believes*, but I just don't have the energy to organize events that involve people that don't live what I live on a daily basis or to whom I have to explain (justify?) everything or whose standard response, when I share some of my challenges, is 'oh, he's doing just fine, he'll grow out of it."

Yes, call me a snob. But what little time I have to actually socialize on a personal level, I want to hang out with my *own kind.*.. LOL

 
At 2:44 PM, September 17, 2008 , Blogger Tori said...

Here's what we did:
http://gfcfblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/cook-fest-at-annas.html

"Cook Fest" -- it was great! We didn't have the kids there but we DID have the wine! :)

Tori

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home