Thursday, August 21, 2008

Yes, *binge* posting tonite...

There was a discussion around People First Language on AoA, yesterday I believe. And while I typically read Dan Olmstead's pieces *nodding like a bubble head doll*, I couldn't find myself in this particular piece and actually find myself agreeing a lot more with this guy. While I certainly consider Salamander to be so much more as a person than just the sum of his diagnoses (medical and psychological), putting those diagnoses in People First terminology DOES take away from his day-to-day struggles.....

But in the end how people refer to their kiddos with challenges (sorry, refering to the kiddos as *being special* or having *special needs* just doesn't sit well with me right now - there is nothing *special* about all the gut and metabolic/mitochondrial stuff we're dealing with in this house..) should be up to them, and even to a larger extent, the kiddos themselves (if they're able to do so)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home