Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Own Worst Enemy

I frequently am...

[I can hear those of you that know me well go: "And your point is?" LOL ]

Most of what I've got going for me in my professional career centers around my reputation. And my reputation is solid. It's more than solid, it's excellent (and that's not me bragging.. I'll let the fact that my entire business is based on word of mouth/repeat business speak for itself). And I worked very hard to get that reputation, and I worked even harder to maintain that reputation during all the craziness over the past 4 years (my clients know that if the proverbial sh#t hits the fan here during business hours and I've got to disappear, I'll make up for it somehow)

So despite people telling me that I am very good at what I do (that's the kind of relationship I have with my clients.. they tell me when I do well, and they tell me when I f#ck up... ), despite the fact that my core clients will gladly recommend me to their business contacts (but tend not to do so too eagerly as they get kind of 'possessive' when it comes to my time.. LOL), and despite the fact that one of the top guys in my field even as recently as yesterday told me that he wished he could get me involved in projects X, Y and Z and that I could be involved but that it would all depend on MY availability, I keep thinking that I'm "no good". Especially when a deadline is looming and I have trouble getting a particular tricky piece of a project to come together.

It's happening again .... part of the problem is that I have very high expectations of myself. And when a particular piece just doesn't want to come together, I tend to take that very personal and think it's because "I've lost my touch". Instead of acknowledging that this particular piece was simply a b#tch to put together.

I've been "sweating bullets" over this last piece that's needed to get this project to completion. And as we're under a tight deadline (in fact, we're running a few days late already) and we now must get this project done and over with, I need to get into 'good enough is good enough' mode (and if we get questions after the project has been reviewed, so be it).

So I produced part of the missing piece this afternoon, am working on the last bit tonight. And I absolutely HATE what I wrote. And I really want to completely rewrite it. But as we're running out of time, I sent off what I had for review by my clients.

And dreaded opening up my email tonite as I was sure that the clients were going to hate it too.

Imagine my surprise and disbelief when I only got very minor comments. Apparently what I wrote is not so bad at all....(but here I am sitting thinking that the reason I only got minor comments is because people didn't really read what I wrote as we're all in a rush to get this wrapped up).

So why do I do this? Why am I so convinced (and it mostly happens in the endgame of a project) that I'm a total screw up when my clients think I'm doing a bang up job? What am I getting out of thinking that way? Where is that *insecurity* coming from? Especially as, when I do drop *down* to 'good enough is good enough', the end product is still pretty damn good to anybody else's standards?

Granted, this has been a tough few weeks and this could just be sleep deprivation doing the talking.. But there are other areas of my life where I do the same thing (not when it comes to my boys though.. although I do frequently feel that there is more I can do, more I should be doing for Salamander....). Is this battle fatigue creeping in???

Why, why, why? I need to explore this more, and then STOP DOING IT. It's a senseless waste of time and energy....

4 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, June 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you do your work, your expectations of yourself are a lot higher than others expectations of you. Why? Because you give 150% compared to the average Joe who gives less than 80%. What you might consider to be lacking, others look at in awe.

You've set the bar high. You've redefined the standard. But your personal bar and standard are much higher than any of your clients (I'm guessing). This is why you can pull your throttles back (whether intentionally or due to circumstances) and still shine brightly! :-)

Did that make sense? I haven't made my way to the coffee pot this morning.. feeling a bit foggy.

 
At 10:32 AM, June 27, 2008 , Blogger Petra said...

I think you're onto something here.. I have set the bar very high, and yes, in quite a few cases I've redefined previously and currently held *standards* at my clients for how these types of projects are done (OMG, I can't believe I am actually writing this.. it feels uncomfortable, like I'm bragging or something.. but truth be told, I've been told this by my clients on quite a few occassions).

So why torture myself if I don't deliver to 150%, especially in light of the fact that my 'good enough' is still pretty damn good?

And more importantly, there are many other areas in my life where I am doing/have done exactly the same thing!! More on that observation later..

 
At 12:57 PM, June 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my own experience, because I tend to be like you with the 150% thing, the only problem with that is we can burn out quickly - more quickly (logically) than someone only giving 80%. My mother's best advice to me when I was working: "Pace yourself, because your idea of 'slacking off' is someone else's idea of working their tail off!" LOL

 
At 7:20 PM, June 27, 2008 , Blogger Petra said...

Your mother is a very wise woman (I think I told her that too in an exchange of comments she and I had on your blog).

Ya think the same principle applies to relationships with significant others? I have a great tolerance of my kids and my friends, even family members giving *only* 80% or even 60% at times depending on what's going on. I understand that things happen, priorties shift, and that sometimes people need to *disappear* for a while. And I never take it personal when that happens.

But when it comes to SOs, I AM looking for that 150% commitment. Again, I understand things happen and that sometimes one party gives the 150%, and at other times it's the other party. Call me a delusional hopeless romantic, but where I hit the 'sorry, but this is not OK' wall is when one party seems to be giving 150% all the time, and the other party thinks 50% is reason to be nominated for the Nobel Prize for the Most Awesome SO.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home